Saturday 1 June 2013

Kaffe Fassett Exhibition in London visual colourfest

 Highlight of this half term was a visit to London to this exhibition: Kaffe Fassett: a life in colour, 50 years of colourful painting, knitting, needlepoint and patchwork and quilting....

 Over 200 photos so this is the first instalment... It was wonderful to see ''live'' so many of the pieces I had seen in his knitting and needlepoint books of the 1980's and 1990's. Shame it said '' do not touch'' everywhere though, as knitted textile especially cry out to be touched?


 I loved these crocheted beanies encrusted with buttons, these I had not seen before.






 I guessed these were designs for enamel bangles? Very Chinese some of these.


 Sorry it's out of focus but such a twee miniature chair...



 Installations and pillars designed by Sue Timney - of the design duo Timney and Fowler of whom I have some striking Grecian column curtain fabric - also from the 1980's.











 Knitted in the lovely Rowan Summer Tweed: a lovely yarn and I must get mine out of the attic and crocheted up! Mine's sky blue...

 I have so loved this chair in the 1980's, it inspired a grapes spectacle case I made in needlepoint.





 SEE?Lots more of those funky hats, but can't imagine anyone wearing them?








 Love these zigzag patterns and so eminently suited to a bit of machine knitting?






4 comments:

  1. Wow! You are so lucky to have seen this wonderful show. I just love the colourful work. Such beautiful work! I love the button hats! They're really jolly! I wish I could come and see the show! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Claire, yes I feel blessed and enjoyed it very much. There's much more to come so please keep visiting as there's so many more photos to be downloaded yet!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing exhibit! Thank you for sharing the pictures
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kaffe Fassett as well and you mentioned you did a grapes spectacle case based on the blue orchard needlepoint chair. I am trying to needlepoint a pillow with the purple grapes and am wondering if you know what yarn and colors you used. I am having a hard time finding similar purples online. Do you think you used Appleton wool yarns?

    ReplyDelete